Didn’t get it posted yesterday, but had a pretty productive weekend. Got the mess of weeds and “ground cover” between my neighbor’s house and mine cleaned out – at least my half of the mess. Turned all of that soil over, by hand, with a shovel, and laid down grass seed. Hopefully it will take off enough that I won’t have more weeds to deal with next year. I’ve only been talking about doing that for six months….
I also got the garden cleaned out after the growing season. It was something of a disappointment this year, despite my excitement over the corn. I must admit I didn’t pay it nearly enough attention during the later summer. But, I’ve cleaned everything out except for some carrots and the pumpkins, spread a few hundred pounds of manure, and planted some garlic for next spring.
Things I want to remember for next year:
- Get the seedlings started earlier, and get them in the ground on time.
- Broccoli takes up too much space for so little return.
- Pole beans, not bush beans. Much easier to deal with.
- Trellis the cucumbers again – that works much better.
- Let the watermelon grow until it’s ripe.
- Knock it off with the cherry / roma tomatoes – we never use them all.